Batik Sampler

IMG_7561

It is hard to get good pictures of a nearly black quilt!

The quilt is 106 by 106, I used Midnight Dream Black poly batting. The back and background fabric is actually a very dark navy, but I opted for Black Bottom Line and Superior So Fine 410, which is a slightly off-black thread. The light thread is a So Fine 449 (a muddy green).

I agonized over what to do in the blocks themselves, and started to go for a “customize every single block” plan, but quickly realized that was going to make me crazy. I chose to do a freehand feathered “X” on each block, alternating with the “O” design in the plain blocks.

The wide open corners and sides were kind of a scary open canvas. After I’d started, I actually thought of several different ways I might have broken up the space differently, but it was too late by then….

Everything was done freehand — I marked spines and grids, and drew myself starter feathers to remember which direction I was supposed to go. The little motif that I alternated with the feathers was something new to me, most of them look oK, but sometimes I would forget the motion to make it and ended up with something else, oops!

3 comments

  1. Cynthia says:

    Did you piece this? Or is it a customer quilt? I have raved about your feathers class for years. That was a turning point for me. I see you haven’t lost your touch. This is a beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    • Suzanne says:

      This is a customer quilt. I just got back from delivering it to her, and have some more info. I knew she pieced it as a group project, but I learned that EACH BLOCK was actually a round robin — every block was “touched” by 3 different people. They all had the same multi-colored batik as their focus fabric, but then each had different “solid” batiks that they added.

  2. Michelle M says:

    It turned out wonderfully Suzanne. I love the little TT’s. I always do that too…think of something ‘better’ after I’ve started the quilting.

Comments are closed.