WIP Wednesday

I think I managed to completely forget to post last Wednesday. Oops.

Today I’m working on my homework for my Monoprinting class at Joggles.com.  Actually, I’m working on last week’s lesson — it is SUNNY and about 45, so I’ve got some sunpainting projects out on the back patio.

Later, I’m going to try this week’s lesson – which is Frottage printing.  I still need to reread the lesson, so I can figure out just what that is.

Yesterday, I finally finished the large applique quilt I have been working at off and on over the last 2 months. 



And the other thing I’m trying to do today is get my round robin journal ready to mail tomorrow.  I joined a group that is doing a round robin based on the Alphabet (ala Alphabetica by Lynne Perella).  It needs to be postmarked by tomorrow, and I’m still debating about which book to use and how to do the sign-in page…..

I think this is going to be the front cover, I glued some chipboard letters on the front and then coated it with black gesso.  It’s not done, but this may have to suffice for the time being.  After I get it back, I can work more on making it beautiful.

Hopefully I’ll be back later to post pictures of interesting sun painted fabric!

Forgive the typing

I just reread my previous post and was horrified to see all of the typos.  Some are due to fast fingers not being careful, but some are problems that I’m having with the keyboard on my laptop.  It does not want to pick up all of the keystrokes all of the time.  There seems to be absolutely no rhyme or reason as to what is missed.  It is very frustrating (to say the least…)

I have edited my previous post to fix the errors, and apologize in advance for any future errors you might see due to the flaky keyboard.  I try to catch them all, but as you all know, sometimes you can’t see the forest for the trees. 

I had numerous people read my machine quilting book last summer, looking for typos and grammatical errors.  After six months of the book being available, my brother was here and read it.  He found a new one that no one else had caught.  The nice thing about printing the books myself is that I can fix those little buggers….

Color schemes

After I posted last night, I was reading some more of Masopust’s book Color and Composition…

One of the exercises towards the end is an exercise at looking at colors schemes in nature.  The idea is to take a picture of a flower or an animal and analyze the colors in the picture.  They have you actually snip strips of fabric in the proportions the color can be seen in the picture — fuse the strips to a 3×5 index card and you have a valuable reference for the future if you are looking for ideas.  In addition to nature, they suggest looking at magazine ads.

This reminded me of an idea that I had seen in a quilting magazine awhile back.  The idea was to look at product packaging and pull fabrics that match the colors on the box of the product.  They used a specific product in the magazine, but I’m not going to tell you which one it was just yet.

First, I’m going to show you a picture of the color scheme as I interpreted it from my stash.


Can you guess what the product is that this scheme is borrowed from?  Think about it for a minute and then click on the link that will take you to the rest of the article.

Continue reading

Color and Composition

About a year ago, I got the book Color and Composition for the Creative Quilter by Katie Pasquini Masopust and Brett Barker.  At the time I did some of the initial exercises (blind and semi-blind contour drawings), but that was as far as I got.  Yesterday, needing something to get me going, pulled it out and did some more exercises — composing with line and composing with shape.

One of the hardest parts was to try to come up with my own compositions — I had to resist the urge to try to copy the examples in the book.


Today I did one of the other line exercises, this time using a Complementary color scheme.
The blue and orange one is hard to look at, isn’t it?  Are your eyes vibrating?

The first exercise was to use the complementary color scheme using a medium value of each color.  The medium values are the ones that make you eyes vibrate.  Very eye catching, but very tiring.

Part of my challenge to myself was to use a color I would hardly ever use — orange is definitely in short supply in my work.

The other 2 exercises were supposed to use the tints and shades of the main color, balancing the colors 80/20 — blue/orange and then orange/blue.  I don’t have any solids, and some of the fabrics were stretching the notion of being shades or tints, but I’m happy with how the pieces turned out.  Using the tints and shades is supposed to decrease the vibration — your eye is still caught by the complementary colors, but it is easier to look at.

We are heading out to see Night at the Museum, so I’d better get moving!

V is for Valentine

I decided that it is MY project, and if I want to change my mind, I surely can.  So, I have abandoned my tree idea for the time being, and just picked another letter of the alphabet for my February Journal quilt.

I made a postcard a couple of days ago that was black with pink and green charms on it.  I decided to expand that into a larger piece and this is what I came up with:


I quilted the background fabric on my longarm.  The four charms were made individually and then I attached them with invisible nylon thread.  It had originally intended that the "O"s would both be buttons, and the "X"s would be beads, but I realized that i would be more interesting to try to come up with different ways to represent the hugs and kisses.  The bottom "O" is actually a tiny mirror that I glued in place and then surrounded with beads.  What I really should have done was used beads to create a "cage" for the mirror, but I wasn’t up to that today.


Both photos are clickable, so you can view them in a larger size.  The charms on this piece are about 1 3/4 inches square.