Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake

Susan asked if I would share the recipe for the coffee cake recipe that is a Christmas tradition in our family:

First, you need to turn on your smell-o-vision.

dsc03836.jpg

Second, here’s proof that this is a well-loved recipe:

dsc03838.jpg

Can you see all of those buttery smears? LOL

The picture is more legible than I would have guessed, but I’ve created a little recipe card for you, too.

cinnamon streusel coffee cake

I started this post several hours ago, but had to stop midstream, and have only just now, 6 hours later been able to get back to it.

My poor Mom fell part way down her stairs and broke her ankle.  Again.  The same bone she broke several months ago.  Slightly different place on the bone, slightly worse break, will take longer to heal.

Phooey and Bah Humbug.

Taking her to her doctor was no problem, but waiting for her prescription painkillers and doing some last minute shopping at Wal-Mart was NOT fun.   “It’ll be ready in 25 minutes.”

Yeah, right.  An hour later it was finally ready, then I had to head to the checkout, and every single one of them had a line that was 3 or 4 people deep.  I nearly cried.

Our pizza is almost here, so I’d better wrap this up.  Hope you are having a sparkly day.

Suzanne

14 comments

1. Sharon Dixon says:

Suzanne, I’m so sorry to hear about your mother’s fall. What terrible timing right here at Christmas time….not that there’s a good time to fall and break an ankle.

The streusel coffee cake looks scrumptious….I’m going to ask Tommy to make it for me.

2. Deb Levy says:

Oh Suzanne, that is just terrible for your Mom. Of, course it impacts everyone else too. Hope she gets pain relief and is able to enjoy the holiday, somewhat at least.

And are you feeling better yet?

Merry Christmas!

3. wildonionstudio says:

Oh Mary Ann! I’m so sorry to hear about your ankle–AGAIN!! Yuck. I hope the meds are doing their job, and you get to feeling better so that you can enjoy the holidays with your adorable grandbabies.
    to Suzanne: Thank you for the recipe– I plan to make it for our Christmas breakfast. I’m quite jealous that all your nieces and nephews are around you for the festivities. Mine are so far away, and it’s kinda lonely around the holidays. Sigh.
    You are a wonderful mommy, auntie, daughter, wife, and especially friend. Thanks for being so great! Big Kiss,
    S

4. lisa thiessen says:

Oh! Suzanne! Give your Mom my heartfelt condolances! The same ankle, bah…phooey. I hope her heal is actually faster than expected. I’m glad that you were nearby to help her when she needed it! The recipe looks lovely. Thanks so much.

Hope your holidays are bright and wonderful.

Lisa

5. lisa thiessen says:

Oh! Suzanne! Give your Mom my heartfelt condolences! The same ankle, bah…phooey. I hope her heal is actually faster than expected. I’m glad that you were nearby to help her when she needed it! The recipe looks lovely. Thanks so much.

Hope your holidays are bright and wonderful.

Lisa

6. Tanya Brown says:

Oh, dear! I’m so sorry about your mom’s ankle; it can’t be good to break roughly the same location twice. It isn’t exactly what one wants for Christmas, is it?

Thank you for sharing the yummy recipe despite having a yucky day!

7. Lynn Douglass says:

Suzanne, I’m also going to make this coffee cake for Christmas morning. It’s perfect! Whodathunk you’d start traditions for your internet friends?

Mary Ann, I’m so sorry about your ankle! My son, Collin, broke his arm in the same place twice. His cast was off for 3 weeks in between. I think you two must be kindred spirits! Shall I send him to take care of you? I hope your pain is manageable, and that you can enjoy your Christmas. Suzanne will take good care of you, I’m sure!

Hugs to you both!

8. Deb says:

I can’t tell you how happy I am that you posted this online! Now I don’t have to go searching my recipe box for the recipe! Yippee!

Thanks for taking care of mom.

9. Mom says:

Thanks for all the condolences! It’s nice to have an online family also. It didn’t take very long to get over the first break a few months ago, this one is going to take longer. The non-broken side of the ankle is very bruised and swollen. Extremely painful. Suzanne is a dream daughter. She helped me clean up my house in getting ready for my son and his family to come and now she’s helping also. I could not ask for a better family. We opened presents last night, to sit around after and listen to carols and watch the kids playing and the adults reading new books… what could be better?

10. Mom says:

It was so smart of you to post this online. I’m going to make it this morning for the family. If I can find all the ingredients. And I’m going to try 1&1/2 times the streusel

Comments are closed.