Yes, I know it’s September. Way back at the beginning of the year I committed to doing monthly journal quilts that were 12 by 12. I got stuck back in….May. Good grief. I decided it was finally time to just finish the stupid thing and move on.
If you want a refresher, you can see the other posts about my journal quilts here.
So, here we go. My theme is the Alphabet. That’s a pretty wide open theme and I sort of wish I’d chosen something a little narrower, or stuck with some of my initial ideas that would have wound up tying all of them together better. Oh well, it’s a learning experience, right?
You are going to think that what I’m about to say is going to sound like I’m being overly critical and hard on myself, and honestly: I’m not. I don’t hate this piece or think it’s terrible, but I do think it’s a little boring and could have been a lot better. Or different. Or something.
Things I do like
1. The beads edging the leaves and flower petals. I used something similar on the journal quilt I just sent to Houston, and I’m really pleased with the look that this gives to the applique.
2. The beads in general. I adore beads. I still have a lot to learn about successful beading, but I know that I want to continue trying to incorporate them in my quilts.
3. The colors.
Things that I do not like or wish were better or different or something
1. I liked writing the words with beads, but I think my beads are too inexpensive: the consistency in size and shape of the seed beads (or lack thereof) made it hard to always have really nice smooth lines.
2. The size/scale of the flower. I was using some applique shapes from an abandoned project, and I wish I had either made the flower smaller and had more flowers or made the flower much bigger and cropped some of it out.
3. The background: I wish I had quilted it on the longarm to give it some texture. I also wish I had bound this with a regular binding instead of “birthing” it.
4. The beaded edging at the bottom: I like it, but: I should have marked out where the loops were to stop and start so that they are all consistent, some aren’t the same and you can tell (in person).
The key is that these don’t have to be masterpieces: they are supposed to be experiments and learning tools.
Honestly, all I had to do yesterday was the beaded edging — the rest of it was done. And now I’m calling it good and moving on to “June.” Hopefully it won’t take me 5 months for the next one.
In other news: I had my first rehearsal with some of the kids that have solos in the upcoming high school production of Grease last night. Went pretty well, all things considered. I have a lot of practicing to do — so do they. 5 weeks and counting! I got copies of the movie and the original Broadway cast recording to watch/listen to — this music is a lot of fun, and I hope our cast can have a good time with it.
Gotta go — my studio is calling me to come back for a short while before bed.