Weed or flower?

Is this Queen Anne’s Lace?

dsc02876.jpg

We have a couple of these springing up in our front walkway area.  Mark said he had cut them out before because he thought they were a weed, but let them go this year because….he just did.

Driving home from grocery shopping last night we noticed that the ditches were full of it.  Iowa has a pretty extensive program to seed ditches and roadways with native wildflowers and plants, making us wonder about this.  I had a slightly different idea in mind of what Queen Anne’s Lace looks like, but when I visit Wikipedia, my photo appears similar to what they picture.  The Wikipedia entry is actually titled Wild Carrot and makes it sound like these are a weed, having been imported from other places.

Anyone care to comment?

Suzanne

12 comments

1. Lisa Thiessen says:

It’s Queen Anne’s Lace, AND Wild Carrot. We have it everywhere here, too. It’s got such a lovely bloom, and I love how it follows the chickory on the roadside. I’d let it grow if it’s not interfering with your more ‘structured’ gardening space.

2. Beth says:

It looks like Queen Anne’s Lace but it’s missing the “drop of blood” in the center that I’ve seen on all the Queen Anne’s Lace around here. I guess it’s kind of fitting that we have alot of Queen Anne’s Lace around here because I live in Queen Anne’s County LOL

Personally I’d think of it as a “wildflower” rather than a “weed”. It’s not something that you’ve intentionally planted but it’s too pretty to consider a “weed”

3. Judy W says:

LOL Suzanne, is it a weed or is it a flower? Well, depends on the definition of each. But for me it’s a flower. I rather like the term wildflower, a suitable term for many “weeds” LOL. No matter what you call it, it’s pretty and I’d let it grow…..just me! ;>)

4. Angela says:

We have it on the side of the road everywhere here too — and yep, it’s much like a weed around here. But a pretty one. If you like it — go for it! (I looked it up online — is it a weed or a flower? I’ve seen it called both — mostly because it spreads all on its own so very well!)

5. rondabeyer says:

Suzanne,

I have always called it Queen Annes Lace and I love their look. My Mom always loved getting bouquets of them when we were little, along with the dandelions……. I personally love them in a Victorian looking garden with foxgloves, hollyhocks and roses…. Thanks for bringing back memories.

6. Jami says:

Yep…Queen Anne’s Lace.
    The defination of weed that I learned in my Hort. Science Program…A weed is just a plant out of place. I still like the look of it, but in Iowa it’s a weed.
    Jami

7. gaylemckay says:

We have tons of it too. We call it Queen Anne’s Lace. I like it well enough that I call it a flower. But it grows so well it MUST be a weed!

Now…. to make this into a quilting topic…… I think this almost fits the definition of a fractal. Not quite, but I bet it could be made into a pretty fractal quilt. It is on my list of things to do.

And how funny that youve been taking photos of the QAL… I have taken about 50 pics of them this week myself!

Gayle

8. AllenQuilts says:

Oh, I wish I had some here! The caterpillars have just about eaten all the dill up. The particular caterpillars I have also love QAL. Parsley, too, and I have planted some just for them, but it’s not growing fast enough!

9. KK says:

It must be too hot here in the south for Queen Anne’s Lace. It was a “ditch/roadside” weed/flower in WV where I grew up and I miss it and chicory a lot!

10. Lynn Douglass says:

We used to have tons of wildflowers in our area of California, but the years of drought, fires, and severe heat have left us with very little. I used to have themed flower beds. I had a rose garden, herbs, bulbs, and wildflowers. People used to walk by the yard just to see what was popping up. I don’t have much time to garden these days, and I miss the color and fun of watching new things sprout. I also have a husband who butchers things on a regular basis! LOL.

Comments are closed.