I got tagged by Vicki a couple of days ago, and haven’t managed to get to this one yet.
I’m supposed to list 5 things about myself that I haven’t talked about before, and then tag 5 more people.
So, 5 things:
1. My freshman year of college was at Ithaca College in New York. I was a voice major and was going to teach music. I hated it. I hated the single-mindedness of the musicians that were around me, I knew that even though I had some talent, I’d never be good enough to actually make money performing, and I quickly realized that I didn’t really want to teach. Ironically, now that I have found my passion in art and quilting, I have a far better understanding of that single-mindedness that I disliked. I also think it is slightly ironic that in the past year I have launched a new phase of my quilting career, and it involves teaching….
2. My Dad was in the Navy when I was growing up, and he was the Captain of the U.S.S. Columbus when it was being built. When it was launched I got to ride in the sail and press on the foot pedal that sounded the whistle as the submarine slid out into the river. My brother was not old enough (by about a year) for the honor, and I think he is still bitter about it. As an aside, the year it was launched was the year that some replicas of some of Columbus’s ships were on a cruise around the world (or parts of it anyway). One or more of the replicas were actually out on the Thames River (Groton/New London CT) when the submarine was launched.
(This is harder than it looks. A lot of things I’m thinking about have already been touched on in previous entries.)
3. My middle name is Renee. My maiden name was Smeigh (like sleigh, but with an "M"). I always thought it was kind of funny that my middle and last names rhymed.
4. I love penguins. I think they are amazing birds and love watching them when we visit zoos. I’d probably be happy just spending the entire time watching the penguins, but probably can’t convince my family to just leave me there.
5. I have been in two productions of The Music Man. Once when I was a kid (there weren’t enough boys for the boys band, so they had to recruit some girls…) and once when I was an adult (I was one of the pick-a-little-talk-a-little ladies. We had the craziest costumes – the colors were wild and the hats — oh my heavens, the hats! When we first got the costumes, we hated them. They grew on us, though, and as the production went on we stole the show. We worked really well as a group and were really quite funny. At least, I thought we were.)
So, there are my 5 things. I can’t really think of 5 new people to tag though — I’ve seen this on so many blogs lately! If you haven’t done it already, consider yourself tagged. And if you do post about it, please leave me a comment so I can come read your answers!